Warm-up to nonsurgical “fat freezing” with CoolSculpting® treatment in Washington, DC
The makers of CoolSculpting®, Zeltiq Aesthetics, report that this nonsurgical body sculpting treatment was first cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 2010 to reduce pesky flank fat (or “love handles”). Over the next decade, CoolSculpting® received FDA clearance to remove fat from eight other areas. CoolSculpting® Fat Freezing Treatment in Washington, DC at Braun Dermatology & Skin Cancer Center may be appropriate to treat stubborn fatty pockets, including:
- Inner and outer thighs
- Underneath the buttocks
- The submental area underneath the chin
- The submandibular area along the jawline
- Upper arms
The above areas of the body tend to stubbornly “hold on” to fat. In turn, it is generally difficult for patients to reduce and firm up those areas with diet and exercise alone. These pockets often arise due to genetic and hormonal factors. So, intervention in the form of nonsurgical “fat freezing” may be in order.
This technology is well-established. More than 8 million treatment cycles have been performed around the globe since CoolSculpting® was approved more than ten years ago. Additionally, it is based on proven science conducted by doctors at the Harvard University-affiliated Wellman Center for Photomedicine.
Cryolipolysis refers to how fat cells respond to controlled cooling. As cooling is applied to the treatment area via specialized applicators, CoolSculpting® selectively damages fat cells. As those cells are released from targeted areas, they are processed by the liver and broken down and digested by the body’s immune cells – a safe and natural metabolic process. Patients see gradually slimmer contours as fat cells are processed and eliminated.
Braun Dermatology & Skin Cancer Center patients who have undergone treatment with CoolSculpting® appreciate that the technology is:
- Well-tolerated – Patients generally describe a temporary tugging sensation, followed by intense cold. Treatment doesn’t require anesthetic, and many patients nap, read, and otherwise relax during their session.
- Fast – A single treatment session can achieve the desired fat reduction. Treatment can be completed in two to four hours, depending on factors such as the size of the target area.
- Effective – On average, Zeltiq Aesthetics notes that patients shed 20% to 25% of fat cells within the treatment area after a single session. Further reduction may be accomplished with additional treatment sessions.
- Sustained – Results get better over time, as damaging and eliminating fat cells is a process. Optimal results may be visible after around six months. Results last because the adult body cannot produce new fat cells. Weight loss methods such as diet and exercise do not destroy fat cells; they only reduce their size.
- Non-invasive – Since there is nothing to heal from, patients get back to their usual activities right away. Since there is no cutting or sutures, the risks of complications (like scars) are avoided. Side effects are generally limited to temporary redness, tingling, and bruising.
CoolSculpting® is not a substitute for a healthy diet and exercise. Suitable candidates for treatment are within or close to their ideal weight range. Schedule an appointment at Braun Dermatology & Skin Cancer Center. We can determine if you are a candidate for CoolSculpting® or alternative contouring treatments. Call 202-816-7557 to schedule an appointment at the Washington, DC office.
Braun Dermatology & Skin Cancer Center
Connect with Dr. Marisa Braun on Linkedin
She is skilled in several dermatology related treatment procedures and Mohs Surgery whilst undertaking neurotoxins and fillers, micro-needling, laser and IPL treatment along with cosmetic mole removal procedures.
Dr. Braun is also a prestigious member of the Women's Dermatologic Society and American Academy of Dermatology amongst many others.